Skip to main content

Working from Home: The Good and The Complicated

If you know me in real life, then you know that I always do some kind of work to help with the family budget.  All of this work in done from home (mostly) so that I can be home with my kids.  Because if you know me, then you also know that I have spent the last 4,000 years in baby land (not complaining just stating) and childcare prices, am I right?
Also I love being home with my kids.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere or do anything else.

Image may contain: screen

These jobs have changed over the years for sure.  Some have been great and others have been less than great but all have served the purpose of supplementing a teacher's salary. 
But what is working from home really like for a big family? 
Or a family with small children? 
Are there office hours? 
Do you literally do double duty ALL day? 
How do you compartmentalize work and family? 

I'm so glad you asked!  

There has been trial and error over the last 10 years of this journey.  Some missteps were the result of immaturity, lack of experience or poor planning.  But all of these experiences taught me something. 

Here is a run down of the different things I have tried.

*Etsy Shop to Sell my Knitted Items ( I learned that knitting is a hobby, not a job)
*Cleaning ( I still do this from time to time when someone calls me)
*Babysitting/Nanny (I would probably do this again, maybe)
*A mostly work from home job for my Church (I work on site a few hours a week)
*Teaching English online (I really enjoyed this but the early hours with a newborn became too much for this season)
*Usborne Book Boss(Current Gig.  Love it because I love books and literacy)
*Newest effort is freelance writing (writing is my second favorite thing next to reading)

I love being able to be home with my kids and make money too but the challenge for me has always been balance.  How can I get my work done, play with and teach the kids, keep the house up, etc, etc? I tend to the be the "Work all the time and am never fully present with my family" kind of work at home mom. I didn't want to be that mom anymore and with this in mind I made my goals for 2020.

After many years of different things, none of which proved effective at providing balance, I decided to try office hours this year. So I sat down and mapped out a typical day.  Hour by Hour.  This showed me the spaces in my day that could support 2 hours of work. I chose Mon-Thur 12-2. 
No photo description available.
This had a lot to do with nap time.
Definitely a learning curve but the idea is that I do NOTHING work related in any capacity until my office hours. 
No checking email
No answering or sending messages 
No posting or scheduling posts on my social media pages
No phone calls related to work
No writing
No Planning
NOTHING

While I LOVE having focused time, my two youngest kids have been bucking the system ( get the memo kids).  The almost 3 year old is now allergic to naps and the almost 10 month old decided now was the perfect time to try and get her FIRST tooth.  Really?
Image may contain: one or more people and shoes
 But I'm loving the freedom of laying the work down when I'm done and being completely present with my family. 

Whatever work can wait until the next days office hours and if it is a true emergency then it will get handled but very rarely do these lines of work have emergencies.

Do you work from home?  Do you have office hours?  What are your obstacles and how do you overcome them?

I would LOVE to hear about your experiences and hacks in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year Pantry Reset (This is my Favorite Thing!!!)

I LOVE a fresh start.  Cleaning things out and making way for something new.  One of my favorite things is a pantry reset(I mentioned this briefly in this post  Travel Prep  ).  What is a pantry reset you ask?  I'm so happy to tell you!  When your pantry is bare, either because it is the end of a budget cycle, you are going on a trip, or because you are starting a new way of eating, take this opportunity to reset your pantry.  Refill it with things that will help with your fresh start. In my case, we were getting ready to take a week long road trip.  I declined to buy any groceries and we used up what had been lingering in the back of the pantry.  Here are a few photos of our dwindling supplies. These photos were taken about 10 days before we left.   I did restock baby food as we ran out but that was about all that I restocked.  About 4 days before we left, this is what it looked like: I love to ta...

Glitter, Poles, and Halftime: OH MY!

Let's talk about the half time show, shall we?  I know what you are thinking, "Not you too!!!  Do we really need a million people writing about that???".  To that I say, "YES".  I was disappointed, appalled, grossed out, and glad we never let out children watch the half time show because, quite frankly, you never know who won't be wearing clothes.  I am fully aware that we live in an over sexualized culture but does that mean we subject our families and children to what was no more than pole dancing in nothing but glitter? After one too many crotch shots that mess was removed from our TV.  In my husband's words "If it isn't appropriate for our children to watch, then it isn't appropriate for us to watch."  SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK.  Because here is the thing, I don't want my husband watching that either. What is confusing for me is seeing people, women, on social media praising this performance as strong, a show...

Gingerbread Houses: Love them or Hate Them? (And the one that I like best)

We make a gingerbread house every year.  Or a gingerbread something.  One year we made a nativity.  I'm going to let you in on a secret.  I LOATHE making gingerbread houses.  My husband LOVES making them, which is why I buy them in the first place.  To him, it isn't Christmas without being covered in sticky icing and wondering why the walls won't stand up. This year my mom gifted us with an A Frame gingerbread house from Trader Joe's.   I silently rolled my eyes while dreading the moment we would be making this deceptively easy confection.  But here's the thing, it wasn't deceptively easy.  It was ACTUALLY EASY (insert gasps).  This is now my favorite gingerbread house kit (which means that I will probably NEVER find it again).    Since I loved it so much I thought it would be fun to share it with you.  Pros, cons, and cute pictures. When you open the box this is what you see: I was surprised by how sim...