Skip to main content

3 Year Olds, Am I Right???

The 3 year old phase, is at the same time, my least and most favorite phase.  I know, it doesn't make sense to me either, but just hang in there while I try to explain myself.

This is the phase in which *most* tiny people have more words and can express what is going on in their cute little heads.  I love the level of communication.  I love not needing to guess *most* of the time which color of cup is the favorite today.  I love hearing their voices, and all of the questions that they have as they try to make sense of their world.

While some days I lovingly refer to this phase as "terrorist threes" and other days I have no idea how one tiny human can make SO. MANY. MESSES while looking so dang cute, most days I am giggling and wondering what they will be when they grow up.  What is God's plan for this BIG personality.

My current 3 year old is, to date, my most challenging.  She is busy, has definite ideas of how she thinks her day should go, and is the only one that has thrown books, among other things, in the toilet.  She is the only one that "goes dark" when she is doing something she shouldn't and she is a master of hide and seek. (FYI no one declared a game of hide and seek, she probably has a leftover candy cane she is trying to devour before you realize she is gone.  I wish I were kidding.)

I REALLY want to enjoy this phase.  I know it won't last.  I know I *might* miss it when it is gone.  I know that one day my house will be still and quiet.  I also know that the days are long and the years are short, but I'm tired.  Between cheerios all over the place, half eaten strawberries, everything being sticky (can I get an amen?), I'm tired. 


I want to be fully present in this phase, to soak it in.  To remember what she looked like, sounded like, and what all of her favorites were.  I want to remember that adorable "can you guess where I peed this time" grin and how she danced to all of Elsa's songs while she watched Frozen.  At the same time, there are days that I long for bedtime or a moment of quiet.  Days I wish I were the wife that had a tracking app on my phone so I could watch my husband's progress as he made his journey home because I just want to go to the bathroom alone.

If you are in this season of life with me, please know, you can love it and be tired.  You can want to soak it all in and long for bedtime.  It isn't either/or.  It can be both. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year Pantry Reset (This is my Favorite Thing!!!)

I LOVE a fresh start.  Cleaning things out and making way for something new.  One of my favorite things is a pantry reset(I mentioned this briefly in this post  Travel Prep  ).  What is a pantry reset you ask?  I'm so happy to tell you!  When your pantry is bare, either because it is the end of a budget cycle, you are going on a trip, or because you are starting a new way of eating, take this opportunity to reset your pantry.  Refill it with things that will help with your fresh start. In my case, we were getting ready to take a week long road trip.  I declined to buy any groceries and we used up what had been lingering in the back of the pantry.  Here are a few photos of our dwindling supplies. These photos were taken about 10 days before we left.   I did restock baby food as we ran out but that was about all that I restocked.  About 4 days before we left, this is what it looked like: I love to ta...

Glitter, Poles, and Halftime: OH MY!

Let's talk about the half time show, shall we?  I know what you are thinking, "Not you too!!!  Do we really need a million people writing about that???".  To that I say, "YES".  I was disappointed, appalled, grossed out, and glad we never let out children watch the half time show because, quite frankly, you never know who won't be wearing clothes.  I am fully aware that we live in an over sexualized culture but does that mean we subject our families and children to what was no more than pole dancing in nothing but glitter? After one too many crotch shots that mess was removed from our TV.  In my husband's words "If it isn't appropriate for our children to watch, then it isn't appropriate for us to watch."  SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK.  Because here is the thing, I don't want my husband watching that either. What is confusing for me is seeing people, women, on social media praising this performance as strong, a show...

Gingerbread Houses: Love them or Hate Them? (And the one that I like best)

We make a gingerbread house every year.  Or a gingerbread something.  One year we made a nativity.  I'm going to let you in on a secret.  I LOATHE making gingerbread houses.  My husband LOVES making them, which is why I buy them in the first place.  To him, it isn't Christmas without being covered in sticky icing and wondering why the walls won't stand up. This year my mom gifted us with an A Frame gingerbread house from Trader Joe's.   I silently rolled my eyes while dreading the moment we would be making this deceptively easy confection.  But here's the thing, it wasn't deceptively easy.  It was ACTUALLY EASY (insert gasps).  This is now my favorite gingerbread house kit (which means that I will probably NEVER find it again).    Since I loved it so much I thought it would be fun to share it with you.  Pros, cons, and cute pictures. When you open the box this is what you see: I was surprised by how sim...