Skip to main content

Winnie the Pooh Day ( I really didn't know that was a thing...)

You may not know this, but today is Winnie the Pooh day.  Otherwise known as the birthday of A.A. Milne, the author of Winnie the Pooh.

You also may not know that, even though we decorate baby nurseries with Winnie the Pooh themed decor, I would not label them as baby/toddler books.  The original set has four books in it, they are not picture books or even short books.  They are chapter books.

I listened to the Read Aloud Revival podcast one day and they were talking about some of their favorite books to read.  Winnie the Pooh was brought up, but what was said surprised me (because until this point I really didn't know anything about Winnie the Pooh other than nurseries and baby books and cartoons).

Her guest Tsh Oxenreider said:

"Well, I have to say they usually are recommended for kids far too young. They are books I would say minimum of age 8. Eight to 12 is the best age for Winnie the Pooh. It sounds funny because we decorate our baby nurseries with Winnie the Pooh. But the humor is completely missed, I think, too young.. that’s not to say you can’t enjoy. My younger guys were 6 and 3, and they were fine and they laughed. But I don’t think they understood it until I explained it or they heard their older sister laughing. Just the verbiage that they use, the words, the voices... they are so well-read out loud."

Listen to the full episode here https://readaloudrevival.com/3/

Needless to say, this intrigued me.  So the very next time we went to Half Priced Books (we don't go often because I can't be trusted in there) I picked up a copy of the very first volume of the original set.  Winnie The Pooh.

There are so many of the familiar stories in this volume.  Pooh scheming to get honey from the bee hive by pretending to be a rain cloud, we meet Kanga and Roo for the first time, Pooh gets stuck in Rabbits front door, and Eeyore has a birthday party.  There are more stories but those are the ones I love most. 

We have been reading it together before bed and are nearly finished.  The kids enjoy the book, all of them do, but my 9 year old really gets it.  He picks up on the humor, the way they speak, the vocabulary, and the uniqueness of the characters.  So I really agree with the the above quote in regards to this book.

I can't wait to read the second volume "The House at Pooh Corner" to see what new and familiar stories are waiting for us.

Have you read the original volumes of Winnie the Pooh?  I would love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year Pantry Reset (This is my Favorite Thing!!!)

I LOVE a fresh start.  Cleaning things out and making way for something new.  One of my favorite things is a pantry reset(I mentioned this briefly in this post  Travel Prep  ).  What is a pantry reset you ask?  I'm so happy to tell you!  When your pantry is bare, either because it is the end of a budget cycle, you are going on a trip, or because you are starting a new way of eating, take this opportunity to reset your pantry.  Refill it with things that will help with your fresh start. In my case, we were getting ready to take a week long road trip.  I declined to buy any groceries and we used up what had been lingering in the back of the pantry.  Here are a few photos of our dwindling supplies. These photos were taken about 10 days before we left.   I did restock baby food as we ran out but that was about all that I restocked.  About 4 days before we left, this is what it looked like: I love to ta...

Glitter, Poles, and Halftime: OH MY!

Let's talk about the half time show, shall we?  I know what you are thinking, "Not you too!!!  Do we really need a million people writing about that???".  To that I say, "YES".  I was disappointed, appalled, grossed out, and glad we never let out children watch the half time show because, quite frankly, you never know who won't be wearing clothes.  I am fully aware that we live in an over sexualized culture but does that mean we subject our families and children to what was no more than pole dancing in nothing but glitter? After one too many crotch shots that mess was removed from our TV.  In my husband's words "If it isn't appropriate for our children to watch, then it isn't appropriate for us to watch."  SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK.  Because here is the thing, I don't want my husband watching that either. What is confusing for me is seeing people, women, on social media praising this performance as strong, a show...

Gingerbread Houses: Love them or Hate Them? (And the one that I like best)

We make a gingerbread house every year.  Or a gingerbread something.  One year we made a nativity.  I'm going to let you in on a secret.  I LOATHE making gingerbread houses.  My husband LOVES making them, which is why I buy them in the first place.  To him, it isn't Christmas without being covered in sticky icing and wondering why the walls won't stand up. This year my mom gifted us with an A Frame gingerbread house from Trader Joe's.   I silently rolled my eyes while dreading the moment we would be making this deceptively easy confection.  But here's the thing, it wasn't deceptively easy.  It was ACTUALLY EASY (insert gasps).  This is now my favorite gingerbread house kit (which means that I will probably NEVER find it again).    Since I loved it so much I thought it would be fun to share it with you.  Pros, cons, and cute pictures. When you open the box this is what you see: I was surprised by how sim...